Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

There's real people on the internet!

Today I got my personal prize for making it to my first weight loss goal: 5% of my body weight. Woot! I actually made it to that goal a little over a week or so ago, but my prize redemption took longer than anticipated.

This is because my prize was going up to Athens, GA to have a real honest-to-goodness grown-up lunch with my bloggy buddy Mir. She has been rockin' my world via the web for a while now, but today I got to see her in person. And she was real! And also very pretty!

So this morning I got all gussied up so that I could impersonate a real honest-to-goodness grown-up and hopefully not embarrass Mir. [Also, I have really fabulous boots with 3.5 inch heels that I find challenging for toddler wrangling and darn if this didn't provide an excellent excuse to wear them!]

Anyway, as I walked Grasshopper into the building so that I could let his teacher know to expect JR for afternoon pick-up today instead of me. On my way out I ran into my friend Renee coming in with her daughter. "Oh my God," she says, "I almost didn't recognize you!" when I grin, she follows that up with, "I've never seen you look like this! Do you have a job interview or something?" Thanks Renee. Thanks a lot. [Clearly I need to step-up my fashion game on a day to day basis.]

I told her that I was performing the role of a Lady Who Lunches today and that I was in costume. This explanation for my lack of ponytail and jeans seemed to put her mind at ease and I continued on my way.

The drive to Athens was really quite pleasant [can you say "me time" boys and girls?], and I never even needed to engage the CD player in my car because the radio stations just kept playing really good stuff, and I was able to crank it as loud as I wanted without concern for tiny eardrums, which made it even better. [Note: it is advisable to also crank the volume on your GPS so that it can actually do it's job of telling you when to turn. Ahem.]

Mir chose a great Italian place for our date, and I was perhaps a bit more excited than I should have been about the fact that there was no white paper or crayons on our table. Did you know that those sorts of restaurants still exist?!? I kind of thought that they all disappeared about two years ago...

Since this was my reward for losing weight, I decided to see how much of it I could gain back in one meal. What? Counter-productive you say? LaLaLaLa, I can't hear you! Besides, I had a Diet Coke and we all know that cancels out the rest of the meal...

I had a very nice Caesar salad [heavy on the Parmesan, mmm] and then lovely, fluffy pillows of purple and white striped goat cheese stuffed ravioli in a sumptuous, sweet pear-wine sauce accented with walnuts and Gorgonzola. I wanted to shrink myself down Honey I Shrunk the Kids-style so that I could roll around on my plate.

Mir and I discussed all sorts of wonderful grown-up things like: our kids [what a shock, right?], and the blogosphere and some of our favorite people in it, as well as football [it is the south], taxes, adoption, jewelery, cooking, decorating, bargain-hunting and finally writing.

I don't remember passing a more pleasant hour and a half in a long time. It really was, as they say, a Fabulous Prize.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your weight loss and your grown-up lunch! When my kids were that age I absolutely treasured "me time." I remember going alone to the MVA to get a new driver's license and praying there would be a long wait! I still do a little dance every time I drop off my little loves (now 10 and 12) to school...

Manic Mommy said...

I want to roll around in that plate with you. Yay for achieving weight loss goals!

I had the exact same experience at drop off last spring; stopped the other mommies in their tracks with grown up clothes, hair, and makeup. I was on my way to a funeral.

Mama Goose said...

What a lovely sounding day! Congrats on meeting a goal and finally meeting a "new" friend!

Anonymous said...

You looked fabulous and I greatly enjoyed our little lunchtime vacation from real life. :) Thanks so much for making the trip!

Anonymous said...

Sounds very glam!