Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 30, 2009

More Conversations with Grasshopper (you can't make this stuff up)

When I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday, I decided that since I was being really good with the whole lifestyle change, and not buying yummy baked goods and such, that I would treat myself to some flowers. Pretty, Springish (that is too a word!), low-calorie flowers.

I settled on iris because they are one of my favorites, and also because they hadn't opened yet and I thought it might be fun for Grasshopper to watch them open over the next few days. I cut the stems off at an angle, plunked them in my favorite vase and really enjoyed how sculptural they looked there on my table with their petals tightly furled.

Because I get excited about fresh flowers, Grasshopper does too. At dinner last night we spoke about how they were closed, but that since we had given them fresh water and some sunlight from the dining room window, that they would soon open. His eyes were huge, and he was listening raptly.

This morning when we woke up, one single iris had opened. Grasshopper was ecstatic.



"Look Mommy! Flower OPEN!"

"Yes, you're right Grasshopper, isn't it pretty?"

"Pwetty flower! Why don't udder ones open?"

"Well, sweetheart, they're not ready to open yet, but I'm sure that they will soon. Now, why don't we have breakfast?"

"I want pancakes!"

Excellent! I thought, and set about heating frozen pancakes and slathering them with jelly as my son and syrup are an extremely messy combination that I avoid whenever possible.

I should also point out that since our home was built in the early 1940s it does not have an eat-in kitchen. We take all of our meals at the dining room table.

Once the pancakes were ready, I called Grasshopper to the table. He immediately began talking about the flowers whilst shoveling food into his mouth (I tremble at the thought of the teenage years given how much food he already consumes).

"Why udder ones not open Mommy?"

"Well, they're just not ready yet Grasshopper, we'll have to wait."

"But I want dem open WIGHT NOW!"

"Well bud, I know that you want everything in life RIGHT NOW, but that's just not how certain things work. Eat your breakfast."

Grasshopper, slamming his hand down on the table while staring at the flowers,

"Ding!" he shouts like a timer.

Sadly, the flowers ignore him.

"Dose flowers naughty! Dey go to time-out!"

5 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Sweet! We have an amarylis that took too long (according to my boys)to bloom. Every day, they'd look at it and will it to HURRY UP!

Manic Mommy said...

Patience and toddlerhood are mutually exclusive.

Aren't you glad you have a repository for all the things you loved but would otherwise forget?

Melissa said...

Very cite, little Grasshopper!

And...your furniture is gorgeous!

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

Thanks Melissa! The husband is in the furniture business, so it ought to look good...although I have to admit to removing some clutter for the benefit of the Internets.

And Manic Mommy, you have just zeroed in on the reason I started this blog; I can barely even remember Grasshopper's babyhood. That won't be the case with his toddlerhood.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny.