Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Skippyjon Grasshopper

Do your kids (and, lets be honest, YOU) love Skippyjon Jones?

Ours is definitely a Skippyjon-adoring family. That tiny tornado of trouble is a character that every person we know (regardless of age) loves to read about. And this weekend, we got to meet Skippyjon Jones and his "Mama" author and illustrator of the Skippyjon series, Judy Schachner.

We are lucky enough to live in a terrific town that hosts an annual Book Festival and this year, Judy Schachner came to speak. She also hosted a charity brunch for her smallest fans at a local Mexican joint. I was the FIFTH person to purchase tickets to this brunch as I knew it would sell-out fast and I was not going to miss this incredible opportunity for Grasshopper to meet one of his favorite book characters, the ONLY author he knows by name, and get a copy of the newest Skippyjon Jones book, Lost in Spice before it was released.

Judy Schachner was so very, very gracious and charming and she spent a long time at our table chatting with Grasshopper and drawing a wonderful illustration in his copy of the new book. I took one look at it and told JR, "Go buy another copy because Grasshopper is NOT playing with this one. Ever." And he did.

Grasshopper was really in awe of having the author sitting RIGHT THERE with him. Most of the Skippyjon books come with a CD of Ms Schachner reading her book and that is our favorite way to hear the stories, so he knows her voice quite well. When he brings me a stack of Skippyjon books (usually with Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones on the top) I always give him the option of having me read them or having Judy Schachner read them, and he always chooses "Mrs Judy read it!" I'm not insulted in the least because she does such an amazing job.

For those that don't know, Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese kitten who, because "my ears are too big for my head, and my head is too big for my bed!" thinks he is actually a Chihuahua. There was a person at the brunch dressed as Skippyjon, and he was HUGE! I was a little concerned that Grasshopper might be scared, but he just said, "Mommy, his ears are too big for his head!"

We had an amazing time, and I have to tell you, I'm not being compensated in any way for this post. I bought our ticket, I made my husband take the pictures, and I even paid for a second copy of Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice which is a SERIOUSLY adorable Skippyjon story taking place in outer space. I am just a big fan of this author/illustrator, her character, and living in a community that makes events like this possible.

If Skippyjon isn't already on your list of favorites, ask Santa to bring you some for Christmas. You will NOT be disappointed.*







*I don't recommend library copies because they seldom have the CDs intact, and they are wonderful.

4 comments:

hayseed said...

Lucky you! I love author readings/signings-and taking your kids to one for an author they love is fantastic. Great way to encourage their love of books and reading.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

I don't know this Skippyjon you speak of. I guess I should find out, huh? Sounds great!!

Stacey said...

too cool!

StephLove said...

What fun!

We've seen those at the library but never checked one out. Maybe we will.