Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

They're out to get me

Grasshopper has just recently entered the portion of three-year-old imaginative play which includes things that are scary. There may be a bad wolf lurking in his closet or a mean dinosaur under his bed. There might be a tiny, microscopic buggy stalking him at any moment. The possibilities are endless.

This morning, I was in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher when he raced in, eyes bright, cheeks flushed and announced breathlessly, "Mama, there something in my drawer!"

"Well, I'm busy right now buddy, why don't you tell it to go away?"

"No Mama, you have to come help me! Pleeeeaase, Mama?"

"Okaaaay!"

I sighed as I made my way to Grasshopper's bedroom, expecting to open whichever drawer it is that he has decided contains something scary, show him that there isn't anything there, and then tell him why I have to return to the kitchen instead of playing trains, which I imagine is his true reason for luring me to his room.

"It in my train drawer." He says, pointing to the left-most drawer under his train table, confirming my suspicion that my real reason for being in his room has nothing to do with scary critters and everything to do with wanting a train playmate.

I squat on the floor and slide open the left-most drawer. Which feels heavier than usual. When I get it open about 8 inches a creature leaps out of the drawer towards my face.

I scream like a banshee, falling backwards onto Percy, the much-beloved green Thomas engine and bruising my backside thoroughly. I crab-walk backwards in a panic until I realize that the creature is my damn Persian cat, Pasha.

She sits and begins licking her paw in a most-relaxed manner and Grasshopper collapses on the floor in a fit of hysterical laughter.

"It just Pashy, Mama!" He chortles, "It just Pashy!"

Yep. My boy and my cat. They're out to get me.

5 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

That is hilarious!!!!! Do you think he planned that and actually got the cat in there by himself? Too cute!

StephLove said...

J's in that exact same phase. We are always having to pretend to be scared while she roars at us. And if she sees an ant in the sandbox, she panics.

Today she didn't want to get into the stroller because she saw a bug in there and I looked and looked and didn't see anything and was started to get impatient about this imaginary bug when I saw it. It was an earwig. Now those things are kind of scary looking.

Funnyrunner said...

ooh! little imp! When he's older it'll be snakes and lizards....

Sandi said...

That was fabulous! I HATE being startled! I would have pee my pants.

I loved hearing about Percy. Bronson was a Thomas freak. We had every engine they made. I wish my other kids would have loved Thomas like Bronson did. I still have fond memories of those little taking engines.... and lets not forget Harold the Helicopter. When we were in Asheville, packing his dorm, I found Harold in his top drawer. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Thanks for linking this in my comments. I wish had more time, I would read blogs ALL DAY long. I am addicted.

Unknown said...

That gave me a giggle. How did he get the cat to get in the drawer? That's what I would be a bit worried about....