Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, October 18, 2008

In sickness and in health

Grasshopper is sick. I mean puking everything that he has put in his mouth (and, I swear, stuff that he never ingested) since he got up this morning. Notice I did not say since he woke up this morning as he woke up and needed to be soothed approximately every two hours from midnight til 6:00 when JR finally let him get out of his crib. He is currently sleeping (thank goodness as little guy's fever is at 101 and he needs rest) & we parents are holding our breath hoping that he gets in a decent nap before the realtor who called this morning comes by to show our house. At which time we will bundle him into the car and drive around, cause what else do you do with a sick toddler when you can't be at home?

It is on days like this that I realize how incredibly lucky I am to have found and married a man as fabulous as JR. You know how I mentioned that Grasshopper woke up every two hours last night? Well, it might have been more frequent than that, cause you see, I don't really know. I never got out of bed. My wonderful husband got up each and every time and soothed our son back to sleep. He got him out of his crib and dealt with the first 3 puke episodes before I got up at 8:00. He is a hero, this man of mine.

Now, in my defense, JR was gone most of the week on business and Grasshopper brought home yet another variant of the preschool "creeping crud" which I promptly caught so I have been operating at about 50% capacity. Still, JR takes every burden that he can from my shoulders whenever he has the opportunity, not just when the boy and I both feel cruddy.

Almost 6 years ago when JR and I pledged to be there for each other in sickness and in health, it was only our own illnesses we had to consider. Now that we have Grasshopper, it's become much bigger than us. The responsibility, the fear, the burden have all grown exponentially. But Grasshopper and I both know that when we fall ill, JR will catch us. He takes his vows to both of us seriously, he does his best to make it all better. When he can't, he suffers for it. He is the love of my life, and one of the most generous people I have ever known.

Happy Saturday everyone. Even if yours smells a bit like sick toddler the way mine does, appreciate it for what it is: a day to spend with the people who matter most.

No comments: